If you're self conscious about the appearance of discolored teeth, minor damage, or other cosmetic flaws, dental bonding treatment may be right for you. Cosmetic dentistry treatments, like dental bonding, can repair dental damage and mask imperfections to transform the appearance of the smile. Dental bonding is particularly beneficial to those who wish to improve their smile without undergoing major dental work. Learn more about dental bonding candidates by scheduling a consultation with Houston, TX dentist Jon Marc Van Slate.
What Is Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding is a minimally invasive cosmetic dentistry procedure designed to address a wide range of dental flaws, including minor damage and discoloration. The dental bonding procedure is relatively quick, providing instant results - and no recovery time is required. Dental bonding treatment uses a putty-like resin to reshape the teeth and transform the overall appearance of the smile. This resin is customized to the desired shade to seamlessly blend with the surrounding teeth. It may even be made a brighter shade of white to improve the appearance of severely discolored teeth.
During dental bonding treatment, the teeth are cleaned and prepared. The surface of the teeth is roughened with a special chemical. This allows the resin to form a secure bond to the teeth. Next, the resin is directly applied to the teeth, one tooth at a time, and shaped to the desired appearance. Once properly shaped, the resin is hardened in a process called curing. After the resin has hardened, it is trimmed, finely shaped, and polished for a flawless finish. The full process takes about 30 to 60 minutes per tooth and, depending on how many teeth are being treated, can often be completed in a single dental visit.
Are You a Candidate for Dental Bonding?
Dental bonding can correct a wide range of dental flaws, making it a suitable treatment for many people who wish to improve the appearance of their smiles. Many patients choose dental bonding treatment because it's minimally invasive and provides immediate results. Candidates for dental bonding should be non-smokers, have relatively healthy teeth and gums, and suffer from one or more of the following conditions:
- Discolored or stained teeth: Mild to severely discolored teeth can be brightened with dental bonding.
- Gaps between teeth: Dental bonding can be used to close gaps between two or more teeth.
- Slightly crooked teeth: The appearance of slightly crooked teeth can be corrected with dental bonding treatment, allowing candidates to enjoy a beautifully straight smile without the need for orthodontics.
- Minor dental cracks: Small cracks and fractures can be filled with the resin to restore dental health and appearance.
- Chipped teeth: Dental bonding treatment can be used to repair chipped teeth and prevent further damage.
- Irregularly shaped teeth: The appearance of irregularly shaped teeth can be corrected through reshaping with dental bonding treatment.
- Undersized or oversized teeth: Dental bonding treatment can be used to adjust the size of the teeth for dramatic results.
Experience the Confidence of a Gorgeous Smile
Dental bonding treatment may be able to give you the smile you've always wanted. For more information about dental bonding treatment, or to find out if you're a candidate, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Van Slate, today.